16” Henry Disston & Sons D-8 Lightweight (Ship) Pattern (Circa early 30’s)
The Disston No. 80 "Choice" handsaw was introduced in 1874 totally redefining the traditional English skewback blade design. Although this saw was sold only briefly the design was revised in 1880 with the Applewood handle being improved and the saw's name changed to the D-8. Rather than the traditional ‘Square Back’ blade, the D-8’s handle was "let-in" by cutting away part of the blade and having a curved slot in the handle instead of the typical straight slot for the blade.
This ‘let-in’ of the new blade design and the applewood handle’s 'curved slot' placed the user's hand closer to the work and at a more comfortable angle for the wrist giving far greater control and leverage.
The D-8 Lightweight was a popular saw with men working in lighter work who prefer a skew-back saw with less weight and less width to the blade. It has the same features and made of the same material as the wide-blade D-8. It is, however, a lighter saw and on many jobs easier to use. With the traditional Disston brass pins and medallion this later model’s handle is made of Beech rather than the Applewood found earlier models. The post 1928 etched blade motif has almost been worn completely away from use.
This model also celebrates the artisanship of the owner with a small 'leave' having been carved into the top of te handle on the reverse side of the Disston medallion.