The Mk VIII goggles were the final and most successful of the RAF issue flying goggles during the Second World War and became the standard flight goggles for all RAF fighter and bomber pilots and aircrew.
Although introduced officially in October 1943, they were not supplied to aircrew until the earlier stocks were exhausted leading to an unsurprisingly large number of the previous, bulky and uncomfortable models being suddenly lost, damaged or mislaid by their owners. The MkVIII's continued in RAF service until made obsolete by the introduction of fibreglass helmets fitted with drop-down visors.
This highly weathered pair of ‘Ocean-Grey’-painted, streamlined metal-framed goggles are fitted with their iconic split-angled, glass eye-pieces set in leather padded cushions. A central adjustable metal hinge above the nose and the elasticated fabric strap with a metal hook and leather tab made the goggles extremely comfortable and popular with aircrew.
With some of the Ocean Grey paint has been worn away, revealing the brass framing beneath and one prism's middle lens coating showing some deterioration along with some wear across the leather padded cushioning, this pair of Mk VIII Air Ministry issued googles has seen some air battles in their time. What an incredible original collectable of such legendary aerial conflict.
This Spitfire Original Collectable comes complete with detailed Scale Model, Mango Wood Stand & Plaque plus Printed Fact Sheet featuring photo of instrument in aircraft cockpit.
* Note that this Spitfire Instrument is pictured with a 1/48 scale model rather than the standard detailed, but smaller 1/72 scale. Click on the 'Model Upgrade' option at the top of this page for the larger 1/48 scale or the Super Detailed 1/32 scale Spitfire!
Return to Spitfire MAIN PAGE
Your Spitfire Mk VIII Goggles, Original Recovery Curios Warbird Collectable includes:
- Original Warbird instrument
- Highly detailed hand-built and airbrushed 1/72 plastic scale model of the aircraft,* or 1/72 scale Die-Cast model
- Hand-crafted and beautifully finished 100yr, Far North Queensland Mango Wood display stand
- Detailed, 2-sided, printed and laminated Instrument Fact Sheet detailing aircraft and instrument
- Removable Magnetic Display Arm
* All Spitfires can be upgraded to the larger and more detailed 1/48 Scale for an extra $35 (Click on the 1/48 scale option), or the Super Detailed 1/32 for an extra $75 (Click on the 1/32 scale option)
The 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 scale, hand-built and airbrushed plastic models are available with 'wheels & flaps up or down' and 'canopy open or closed' options with a choice of two Squadron markings and camouflage.
NOTE: The 1/72 scale Die-Cast Spitfire model comes with a 'wheels up or down' option, the canopy is sealed and the Squadron markings and camouflage are preset.
Upon order placement you will receive an email asking for your preferred configuration.
Your complete Recovery Curios Original Instrument Collectable is securely packed and delivery normally takes between 4 - 6 weeks approx.
Did you fly, crew or maintain a Supermarine Spitfire or have a friend, colleague or family member who did? Check out our PERSONALISED ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT COLLECTABLE OPTION here.