The Mk VIII goggles were the final and most successful of the RAF issue flying goggles during the Second World War and became the standard flight goggles for all RAF fighter and bomber pilots and aircrew.
Although introduced officially in October 1943, they were not supplied to aircrew until the earlier stocks were exhausted leading to an unsurprisingly large number of the previous, bulky and uncomfortable models being suddenly lost, damaged or mislaid by their owners. The MkVIII's continued in RAF service until made obsolete by the introduction of fibreglass helmets fitted with drop-down visors.
These rare ‘Ocean-Grey’-painted, streamlined metal-framed goggles are fitted with their iconic split-angled, glass eye-pieces set in leather padded cushions. A central adjustable metal hinge above the nose and the elasticated fabric strap with a metal hook and leather tab made the goggles extremely comfortable and popular with aircrew.
Considering their age, this pair of Mk VIII Air Ministry issued RAF googles are in fantastic condition, with no tears or abrasions on the leather padding and clear lenses. Still with their original elastic strapping and some minor wear on the Ocean Grey paint, revealing the brass framing underneath, they are a rare example of an incredible original collectable from a legendary period of aerial conflict.
* Please note that this original Recovery Curios Aircraft Display is also available in a Super Detailed, Large Scale 1/48 version with some astounding and simply awesome detail. Click on the ‘1/48 Scale Model Option' at the top of this page to order.
This Avro Lancaster Instrument comes complete with detailed Scale Model, Mango Wood Stand & Plaque plus Printed Fact Sheet featuring photo of instrument in aircraft cockpit.
Return to Avro Lancaster MAIN PAGE
Your Avro Lancaster Mk VIII Goggles, Original Recovery Curios Warbird Collectable includes:
- Highly detailed hand-built and airbrushed 1/72 or Super Size 1/48 Scale custom-built scale model of the aircraft
- Original Warbird instrument
- Hand-crafted and beautifully finished 100yr, Far North Queensland Mango Wood display stand
- Detailed, 2-sided, printed and laminated Instrument Fact Sheet detailing aircraft and instrument
- Removable Magnetic Display Arm
The heavily detailed scale model is available with wheels & flaps up or down and bomb bays open or closed. Upon order placement you will receive an email asking for your preferred configuration.
Your complete Recovery Curios Original Instrument Collectable is securely packed and delivery normally takes between 4 - 6 weeks approx plus postage.
Did you fly, crew or maintain an Avro Lancaster or have a friend, colleague or family member who did? Check out our PERSONALISED ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT COLLECTABLE OPTION here.