One of the main navigation aids for British heavy bombers such as the Halifax and Avro Lancaster was the aircraft’s Radio Direction Finding system (RDF).
Mounted on the forward face of the navigator’s radio panel was the Marconi R1155 Radio Receiver which could be tuned via the Lancaster’s Directional Finder (DF) Loop rotatable antenna to the home airfield’s transmitting frequency. The signal transmitted from the airfield was effectively a homing beacon, enabling the aircraft to follow the radio beam back to its origin.
The RDF delivered a constant signal to two visual L/R Beam Approach Indicators - one mounted above the navigator’s radio and the other atop the pilot’s main instrument panel next to the Directional Radio Compass.
The two floating, cross-hair needles of the L/R Beam Approach Indicator provided the pilot with a visual indicator of the aircraft’s position in relation to the radio transmission directing him to turn either left or right to stay on course.
This L/R Beam Approach Indicator bears the Air Ministry ‘AM & Crown’ with a Ref No: 626227.
* Please note that this original Recovery Curios Aircraft Display is also available in a Super Detailed, Large Scale 1/48 version with some astounding and simply awesome detail. Click on the ‘1/48 Scale Model Option' at the top of this page to order.
This Avro Lancaster Instrument comes complete with detailed Scale Model, Mango Wood Stand & Plaque plus Printed Fact Sheet featuring photo of instrument in the aircraft cockpit.
Return to Avro Lancaster MAIN PAGE
Your Avro Lancaster Left/Right Beam Indicator, Original Recovery Curios Warbird Collectable includes:
- Highly detailed hand-built and airbrushed 1/72 or Super Size 1/48 Scale custom-built scale model of the aircraft
- Original Warbird instrument
- Hand-crafted and beautifully finished 100yr, Far North Queensland Mango Wood display stand
- Detailed, 2-sided, printed and laminated Instrument Fact Sheet detailing aircraft and instrument
- Removable Magnetic Display Arm
The heavily detailed scale model is available with wheels & flaps up or down and bomb bays open or closed. Upon order placement you will receive an email asking for your preferred configuration.
Your complete Recovery Curios Original Instrument Collectable is securely packed and delivery normally takes between 4 - 6 weeks approx plus postage.
Did you fly, crew or maintain an Avro Lancaster or have a friend, colleague or family member who did? Check out our PERSONALISED ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT COLLECTABLE OPTION here.