One of the main navigation aids for British medium fighter/bombers and heavy bombers such as the Bristol Beaufighter, De Havilland Mosquito, Halifax and Avro Lancaster was the aircraft’s Radio Direction Finding system (RDF).
Mounted in the fuselage behind the pilot, was the Marconi R1155 Radio Receiver which could be tuned via the Beaufighter's Directional Finder (DF) Loop rotatable antenna to the home airfield’s transmitting frequency. The signal transmitted from the airfield was effectively a homing beacon, enabling the aircraft to follow the radio beam back to its origin.
The RDF delivered a constant signal to the visual L/R Beam Approach Indicator - mounted to the left of the pilot’s main instrument panel above the Brake Pressure gauge.
The two floating, cross-hair needles of the L/R Beam Approach Indicator provided the pilot with a visual indicator of the aircraft’s position in relation to the radio transmission directing him to turn either left or right to stay on course.
This L/R Beam Approach Indicator bears the Air Ministry ‘AM & Crown’ with an ID & Ref No: 10Q/2 0305091
This Bristol Beaufighter Instrument comes complete with detailed Scale Model, Mango Wood Stand & Plaque plus Printed Fact Sheet featuring photo of instrument in aircraft cockpit.
* Note that this Beaufighter Instrument is pictured with a 1/48 scale model rather than the standard detailed, but smaller 1/72 scale. Click on the 'Model Upgrade' option at the top of this page for the larger 1/48 scale.
Return to Bristol Beaufighter MAIN PAGE
Your Bristol Beaufighter Left/Right Beam Indicator, Original Recovery Curios Warbird Collectable includes:
- Original Warbird instrument
- Highly detailed hand-built and airbrushed 1/72 plastic scale model of the aircraft*
- Hand-crafted and beautifully finished 100yr, Far North Queensland Mango Wood display stand
- Detailed, 2-sided, printed and laminated Instrument Fact Sheet detailing aircraft and instrument
- Removable Magnetic Display Arm
*An upgrade to the larger and more detailed 1/48 scale model is also available in the hand-built and airbrushed plastic version for an additional $35 (Click on the 1/48 scale option)
Both the 1/72 & 1/48 scale hand-built and airbrushed plastic models are available with 'wheels & flaps up or down' and 'canopy open or closed' options with a choice of two Squadron markings and camouflage.
Upon order placement you will receive an email asking for your preferred configuration.
Your complete Recovery Curios Original Instrument Collectable is securely packed and delivery normally takes between 3 - 4 weeks approx.
Did you fly, crew or maintain a Bristol Beaufighter or have a friend, colleague or family member who did? Check out our PERSONALISED ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT COLLECTABLE OPTION here.