Known as the 'bath-tub' morse key due its resemblance to an old fashioned bathtub, the brown bakelite Morse Key was fully enclosed for operations aboard heavy bombers such as the Avro Lancaster to ensure its sparking did not ignite fuel fumes.
From left to right, you see the hinges, the two electrical stubs, the large signalling knob (designed to also be used with gloves) and the spring that held both the upper and lower halves together.
This spring could also be used to hold down the signalling knob to broadcast a continuous carrier wave. This was done during ditching procedures or when the crew had to bail out of the plane (mostly over water) and in doing so, hopefully enable rescuers to secure a fix on their last position.
Whilst used primarily aboard the Avro Lancaster, the fact that the Morse Code Key was waterproof also made it suitable for use in open canopy aircraft such as the Fairey Swordfish torpedo bomber and the Australian Wirraway light fighter/bomber.
* Please note that this original Recovery Curios Aircraft Display is also available in a Super Detailed, Large Scale 1/48 version with some astounding and simply awesome detail. Click on the ‘1/48 Scale Model Option' at the top of this page to order.
This Avro Lancaster Instrument comes complete with detailed Scale Model, Mango Wood Stand & Plaque plus Printed Fact Sheet featuring photo of instrument in the aircraft cockpit.
Return to Avro Lancaster MAIN PAGE
Your Avro Lancaster Bathtub Morse Code Sender Key, Original Recovery Curios Warbird Collectable includes:
- Highly detailed hand-built and airbrushed 1/72 or Super Size 1/48 Scale custom-built scale model of the aircraft
- Original Warbird instrument
- Hand-crafted and beautifully finished 100yr, Far North Queensland Mango Wood display stand
- Detailed, 2-sided, printed and laminated Instrument Fact Sheet detailing aircraft and instrument
- Removable Magnetic Display Arm
The heavily detailed scale model is available with wheels & flaps up or down and bomb bays open or closed. Upon order placement you will receive an email asking for your preferred configuration.
Your complete Recovery Curios Original Instrument Collectable is securely packed and delivery normally takes between 4 - 6 weeks approx plus postage.
Did you fly, crew or maintain an Avro Lancaster or have a friend, colleague or family member who did? Check out our PERSONALISED ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT COLLECTABLE OPTION here.