The Supermarine Spitfire carried a number of externally mounted lights used for navigation and communication.
The two wingtip lights - a green lamp on the starboard wingtip and a red lamp on the port wingtip along with a white tail light, were standard aviation navigation lights indicating tom other aircraft or those on the ground whether the aircraft was heading for or away from the viewer.
A Tear Drop Spine light, mounted just to the rear of the VHF antenna, was used for air to air morse code communication when radio silence was required.It was activated by a small sprung triggered Morse Sender key mounted on the starboard wall of the cockpit.
A ‘downward’ facing lamp was mounted on the underside of the fuselage just to the rear of the wings trailing edges and used for air to ground communication.
This Air Ministry 5C/543 Bakelite navigation light switch was mounted at the very top left of the Spitfire's Instrument panel above the Oxygen Control Unit and adjacent to the Flap Lowering lever.
This Supermarine Spitfire Instrument comes complete with detailed Scale Model, Mango Wood Stand & Plaque plus Printed Fact Sheet featuring photo of instrument in aircraft cockpit.
* Note that this Spitfire Instrument is pictured with a 1/48 scale model rather than the standard detailed, but smaller 1/72 scale. Click on the 'Model Upgrade' option at the top of this page for the larger 1/48 scale or the Super Detailed 1/32 scale Spitfire!
Return to Spitfire MAIN PAGE
Your Spitfire Type 5C/543 Navigation Light Switch, Original Recovery Curios Warbird Collectable includes:
- Original Warbird instrument
- Highly detailed hand-built and airbrushed 1/72 plastic scale model of the aircraft,* or 1/72 scale Die-Cast model
- Hand-crafted and beautifully finished 100yr, Far North Queensland Mango Wood display stand
- Detailed, 2-sided, printed and laminated Instrument Fact Sheet detailing aircraft and instrument
- Removable Magnetic Display Arm
* All Spitfires can be upgraded to the larger and more detailed 1/48 Scalefor an extra $35 (Click on the 1/48 scale option), or the Super Detailed 1/32 for an extra $75 (Click on the 1/32 scale option)
The 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 scale, hand-built and airbrushed plastic models are available with 'wheels & flaps up or down' and 'canopy open or closed' options with a choice of two Squadron markings and camouflage.
NOTE: The 1/72 scale Die-Cast Spitfire model comes with a 'wheels up or down' option, the canopy is sealed and the Squadron markings and camouflage are preset.
Upon order placement you will receive an email asking for your preferred configuration.
Your complete Recovery Curios Original Instrument Collectable is securely packed and delivery normally takes between 6 - 8 weeks approx.
Did you fly, crew or maintain a Supermarine Spitfire or have a friend, colleague or family member who did? Check out our PERSONALISED ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT