Introduced in mid 1944, the American Optical Company USN Flying Goggles were modelled on the Polaroid No 1065 and B6 Flying Goggles which had become so popular with USAAF and USN pilots and aircrew. With the air war raging in the Pacific, it was not long before other US manufacturers, like the American Optical Company started to manufacture their own versions to meet demand.
With a slightly smaller, one-piece lens than the Polaroid B8s, the American Optical Company’s USN specific Flying Goggles featured the same one-piece, shatter-proof lens which provided far greater peripheral vision than the previous twin-lens models; whilst its molded black rubber body and chamois leather lining were easily adaptable to fit most faces and variations in oxygen masks. Above the rim of the one-piece lens, perforations along the upper edge of the rubber frame allowed for increased air circulation to reduce fogging.
During the 1950s and early 1960s pilots of the French Navy Fleet AirArm, the Aéronavale, also used the American Optical USN goggles in their F4U-7 carrier launched Corsairs leading up to and during the early years of the conflict in Vietnam.
So popular were the new flying goggles that RAAF personnel in the South West Pacific would often beg, borrow or barter for a prized pair from their US counterparts.
In the late 1950s H.L. Bouton of Massachusetts produced their own version of the Polaroid B8’s after receiving a contract from the new Swedish Airforce. Some of these also made their way into the USAF during the Korean War.
Eventually, the advent of the jet fighter saw pilots transitioning to the full face integrated oxygen mask and the one-piece, ventilated flying goggle design was successfully introduced to the burgeoning sports market to become the ski goggles we know of today.
Your original pair of American Optical USN Aviation Goggles come complete with :
• Battle hardened USN Flying goggles
• Original Flying Goggle Box
• Beautiful hand-crafted 100yr mango wood display stand and engraved plaque
• Detailed, professionally printed and laminated Fact Sheet
• Highly detailed 1/72 scale* die cast or hand built & airbrushed Vought F4U Corsair model on magnetic stand
* Why not go for super detail and impact by upscaling to an exquisitely detailed and finished, hand-crafted 1/48 scale F4U Corsair model - the perfect gift for any aviation enthusiast.
* Note that this F4-U Collectable is pictured with a 1/48 scale model rather than the standard detailed, but smaller 1/72 scale. Click on the ‘Model Upgrade' option at the top of this page for the larger 1/48 scale as displayed here.
This Vought F4U Corsair Collectable comes complete with detailed Scale Model, Mango Wood Stand & Plaque plus Printed Fact Sheet featuring photo of collectable with pilot and aircraft.
Return to Vought F4U Corsair MAIN PAGE
Your Vought Corsair F4U original American Optical USN Aviation Goggles Original Recovery Curios Warbird Collectable includes:
- Original Warbird collectable
- Highly detailed hand-built and airbrushed 1/72 plastic scale model of the aircraft,*
- Hand-crafted and beautifully finished 100yr, Far North Queensland Mango Wood display stand
- Detailed, 2-sided, printed and laminated Instrument Fact Sheet detailing aircraft and instrument
- Removable Magnetic Display Arm
*An upgrade to the larger and more detailed 1/48 scale model is also available in the hand-built and airbrushed plastic version for an additional $35 (Click on the 1/48 scale option)
Both the 1/72 & 1/48 scale hand-built and airbrushed plastic models are available with 'wheels & flaps up or down' and 'canopy open or closed' options with a choice of two Squadron markings and camouflage.
Upon order placement you will receive an email asking for your preferred configuration.
Your complete Recovery Curios Original Instrument Collectable is securely packed and delivery normally takes between 4 - 6 weeks approx.
Did you fly, crew or maintain a Vought Corsair F4U, or have a friend, colleague or family member who did? Check out our PERSONALISED ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT COLLECTABLE OPTION here.