One of the most successful and widely worn USAAF protective goggle designs of the Second World War was the US designed Polaroid B-8 Aviation Goggles.
Introduced in late 1943 the Polaroid B-8 flying goggles were worn by US pilots and aircrew in the skies over Europe, above the jungles of South East Asia and throughout the air war in the Pacific.
The B-8’s one-piece, shatter-proof lens provided far greater peripheral vision than the previous twin lens models; whilst its moulded black rubber body and chamois leather lining were easily adaptable to fit most faces and variations in oxygen masks.
Above the rim of the one-piece lens, perforations along the upper edge of the rubber frame allowed for increased air circulation to reduce fogging - a common problem with previous twin lens models.
The Polaroid B-8 came well packaged with a small instruction pamphlet and a variety of interchangeable tinted lenses for use in different weather and lighting conditions.
So popular were the B-8’s that RAAF personnel in the South West Pacific would often beg, borrow or barter for a prized pair from their US counterparts.
Polaroid continued refining their B-8 model and by the early 1950s they were in general use by Australian pilots flying P51’s and Gloster Meteors during the Korean War.
In June 1952, the Australian government despatched two squadrons of de Havilland Vampires to Malta as part of its Cold War commitment seeking to counter Soviet expansion in the Middle East.
The Vampire deployment saw the end of the B-8 style Flying Goggles as RAAF pilots moved to full-face visor integrated helmets after the introduction of the Vampire and the new CAC, high altitude Sabre Jet fighter.
Your original pair of Polaroid B-8 Aviation Goggles come complete with :
• Original printed box
• Battle hardened B-8 Flying goggles
• Original Instruction pamphlet
• Complete set of original, individually packaged tinted lenses
• Beautiful hand-crafted 100yr mango wood display stand and engraved plaque
• Detailed, professionally printed and laminated Fact Sheet
• Highly detailed 1/72 scale* hand built & airbrushed B-26 Marauder bomber on magnetic stand
This B-26 Martin Marauder Collectable comes complete with detailed Scale Model, Mango Wood Stand & Plaque plus Printed Fact Sheet featuring photo of instrument in aircraft cockpit.
* Note that this B-26 Marauder collectable is pictured with a 1/48 scale model rather than the standard detailed, but smaller 1/72 scale. Click on the 'Model Upgrade' option at the top of this page for the larger 1/48 scale.
Return to B-26 Marauder MAIN PAGE
Your B-26 Martin Marauder B8 Flying Goggles, Original Recovery Curios Warbird Collectable includes:
- Original Warbird instrument
- Highly detailed hand-built and airbrushed 1/72 plastic scale model of the aircraft.*
- Hand-crafted and beautifully finished 100yr, Far North Queensland Mango Wood display stand
- Detailed, 2-sided, printed and laminated Instrument Fact Sheet detailing aircraft and instrument
- Removable Magnetic Display Arm
*An upgrade to the larger and more detailed 1/48 scale model is also available in the hand-built and airbrushed plastic version for an additional $80 (Click on the 1/48 scale option)
Both the 1/72 & 1/48 scale hand-built and airbrushed plastic models are available with 'wheels & flaps up or down' and 'canopy open or closed' options with a choice of two Squadron markings and camouflage.
Upon order placement you will receive an email asking for your preferred configuration.
Your complete Recovery Curios Original Instrument Collectable is securely packed and delivery normally takes between 3 - 4 weeks approx.
Did you fly, crew or maintain a B-26 Martin Marauder or have a friend, colleague or family member who did? Check out our PERSONALISED ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT COLLECTABLE OPTION here.