One essential qualification for all RAF and Royal Navy pilots, was to be able to read and send morse code at a minimum speed of 15 words per minute.
Mounted on the starboard panel of the Fairey Swordfish cockpit, just aft of the fuel cock and connected to a small dome shaped, white identification light mounted on the upper wing next to the VHF antenna, the Morse Code Key was used for air to air communication with other fighters nearby when radio silence was required.
The original Morse Code Sender Keys were all metal but by mid 1940, the more easily produced bakelite models were being fitted into most RAF fighters and Royal Navy aircraft. Designated 'Type B' this model is one of the second runs of the new bakelite moulded units.
This is a rare artefact of WWII Royal Navy aviation history and mounted on its 100yr old mango wood display stand complete with a highly detailed 1/72 or super detailed 1/48 custom-built scale model of this iconic WWII naval biplane bomber, plus detailed Fact Sheet - you have the perfect, original gift for any aviation enthusiast.
This Fairey Swordfish Instrument comes complete with detailed Scale Model, Mango Wood Stand & Plaque plus Printed Fact Sheet featuring photo of instrument in aircraft cockpit.
* Note that this Fairey Swordfish instrument is pictured with a 1/48 highly detailed scale model rather than the standard detailed, but smaller 1/72 scale. Click on the 'Model Upgrade' option at the top of this page for the larger 1/48 scale
Return to Fairey Swordfish MAIN PAGE
Your Fairey Swordfish, Morse Code Sender Key, Original Recovery Curios Warbird Collectable includes:
- Original Warbird instrument
- Highly detailed hand-built and airbrushed 1/72 plastic scale model of the aircraft, or opt for the highly detailed 1/50 scale version
- Hand-crafted and beautifully finished 100yr, Far North Queensland Mango Wood display stand
- Detailed, 2-sided, printed and laminated Instrument Fact Sheet detailing aircraft and instrument
- Removable Magnetic Display Arm
The 1/72 scale and highly detailed Super size 1/50 scale, hand-built and airbrushed plastic models are available in a choice of two Squadron markings and camouflage.
Upon order placement you will receive an email asking for your preferred configuration.
Your complete Recovery Curios Original Instrument Collectable is securely packed and delivery normally takes between 5 - 7 weeks approx.
Did you fly, crew or maintain a Fairey Swordfish or have a friend, colleague or family member who did? Check out our PERSONALISED ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT COLLECTABLE OPTION here.